Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pulled Pork with Root Beer Sauce

Well is has been a long time coming. After we got back from the cruise we took the summer off and just tried not to use the stove or oven much as it makes our place too hot. My work is really busy at the beginning of the school year so I was excited when I had the brainstorm to use the crock pot . I turned to my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and found Pulled Pork with Root Beer Sauce.

In the morning I cut the fat of the pork roast and then seared in in a skillet. I was a bit tricky as I maneuvered the 3 pound roast on its side with tongs to get the complete sear. I then plopped it in the crock pot and cut up some onion and garlic and added the root beer. Then I set i to low and let it cook for 8 hours.



Right before the roast was done we made a sauce with root beer and chili sauce, which looks like ketchup but has more of a kick. We let it simmer for 30 minutes until it reduced from 3 cups to 2 cups. This is always hard to gauge for me. I always think it is reduced enough and then when I pour it into a measuring cup it is usually not even close to the correct amount. This time was no exception and required that we pour the sauce from measuring cup and back into the pan at least twice.



After the meat was finished we transferred it to a cutting board and used two forks to shred it. I was so surprised how easily it fell a part. We served it up on hamburger buns with the sauce. Yum !

1 comment:

  1. we're glad you guys are cooking again! rootbeer sauce sounds amazing! we were sorry to miss your movie thing today--lucy did not sleep much last night and we are all soooo tired. we are at our wit's end with her--she just won't sleep... ah, well. happy halloween!

    ReplyDelete