Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

We were both feeling sick and looking for some comfort food that was not just chicken noodle soup. So once again I consulted by favorite foodie Alton Brown and found just what I was looking for Baked Mac and Cheese

The first step was to make a roux. Now again I tried to make a roux before when I was making Rachel Ray's Mac and Cheese and it ended badly with a bunt and runny mess. The roux starts by mixing butter and flour and not very much of each. One valuable lesson of cooking I have learned is "Mise en place, "when you get all your ingredients out and measured before you start cooking. This is especially important when you are cooking something like a roux that requires constant attention. So I was ready with all my ingredients ready and by the stove and I got out my trusty Dutch oven, melted the butter and then whisked in the flour for 5 minutes. If you stop whisking the flour will burn.
After the base of the roux was made I added milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika and allowed it to simmer for 5 minutes. Then I added in an egg which at first I thought was weird but helped to bind the mac and cheese together. After the egg was added finally I stirred in the cheese and then added the cooked macaroni. I poured it into the baking dish and then added more cheese on top.

For the final step I sauted some Panko breadcrumbs in butter and then spread them on top. After baking for 30 minutes and letting it rest for 5 minutes the result was a some really really tasty comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment