Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday Dinner


I love summer. I love summer especial since we moved into our house and bought a grill. Brian has been working really long hours so for Sunday I planned a special meal for his day off: a cook out. The menu BBQ Chicken using my grandmothers BBQ sauce; homemade macaroni salad and brownies.

I went ahead and made the sides ahead of time on Saturday. While I was shopping at the store I realized I had forgotten to print off a recipe for macaroni salad. So I whipped out my i phone and I went to one of my trusted sites: Food network and found this simple recipe. I cooked the elbow macaroni and made the dressing of mayonnaise, dry mustard, sugar, cider vinegar, and sour cream. The dressing tasted very similar to the dressing I remember my mom making for her coleslaw. Then I chopped up celery, and red onion. I soaked the red onion is cold water for 5 minutes to draw out some of the bite . I left out the tomatoes. and added cut up sweet gherkin pickles to my serving. The salad has a very refreshing taste and the red onions added just the right about of kick.


Boddington wanting his taste of the macaroni.

For the brownies I use Martha Stewart Double Chocolate Brownies Recipe.
I melted the semi sweet chocolate, coco power and butter together in a double boiler. I had never mixed coco powered into my chocolate before but it defiantly kicked up the chocolaty taste. I added the chocolate to the dry ingredients and the eggs and the sugar. Then I poured the batter into the pan. The recipe was very specific about how the pan should be prepared.

" Line a buttered 8-inch square baking pan with foil,allowing 2 inches to hang over sides. Butter lining (excluding overhang); set pan aside."

I though this was a little excessive, butter the pan then put foil in it and then butter the foil... Really? Well, the brownies came out of the pan perfectly. Who and I to argue with Martha?


As Brian was heating up the grill I was getting the chicken ready. As I open up the chicken I immediately knew something was wrong. The chicken just smelled nasty. So we chucked it in the garage and went with our back up plan, burgers. We bought 18 frozen Sirloin burger patties from Costco for a time such as this. We seasoned them with some Lawry's seasoning salt and grilled them up.

The meal was great. The salad was a nice side for the burgers and the brownies were so chocolaty and delicious. I hope we continue our tradition of fabulous Sunday dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment