Monday, May 10, 2010

Shrimp and Rice


I wanted to make one more fancy meal before I headed off to camp. In Martha Stewart Living each month she suggest a dinner. This month is was Garlic- Jalapeno Shrimp and Rice with Peas and Cilantro.

I began my chopping my first jalapeno, very carefully and avoiding touching my eyes. It was only made slightly more difficult by Boddington who is always interested in what I can cutting and then by what I put in the trash. Needless to say i did not want my bulldog eating a jalapeno. I made the rest of the marinade for the shrimp with line juice and salt and pepper.The shrimp in marinade went into the fridge for 45 minutes.


While the shrimp were swimming in lime juice I worked on the rice. First I cooked the onions and garlic in a sauce pan and then added spices and rice. I then added the water to cook the rice and a bundle of cilantro stems and let it simmer for 15 minutes.



While the rice cooked I prepared the peas. It began with shelling :) I bough sugar snap peas and carefully cut them open length ways and then picked the peas out. I needed 3/4 of a cup of peas and these peas were very tiny. After the peas were finished I worked on picking off a 1/2 of cilantro leaves. Both of these task too the entire time the rice cooked which was longer then I expected. After the rice was done I added the peas and left the rice covered for 10 more minutes. During this time I went back to the shrimp and gave them a quick cook in olive oil.



I then removed the cilantro from the rice and added the cilantro leaves. It all served up great and I will defiantly be making it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment