Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sprinkles


The first week of March I spent in Phoenix for a conference with InterVarsity. Coincidentally Brian's parents live in Phoenix so I got to spend some one on one time with my mom in law. She took me to her favorite cupcake place Sprinkles. http://www.sprinkles.com/ . We got cupcakes to go and also some mix so I could make them at home. Sprinkles is the exactly the kind of place I want to open one day. It is cool and modern but also makes amazing cupcake. One of my friends and I are toying with the idea of opening a bakery when we grow up. We both are really into baking, cupcake specifically and love the idea of baking as a job. Now if only I can think of an original concept for my own cupcake bakery. P.S. when did cupcakes become so in? There are nine cupcake places in Austin alone.

I was in charge of desserts this week at small group and sipped up the Sprinkle red velvet cupcake. First of all, what is red velvet. It is a coco flavored cake with red food coloring. Red velvet as made famous at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in 1920. Thanks Wikipedia.
I poured the pre-made mix into the bowl and was surprised by just how red it was. The batter was made up of butter, mix, milk and vinegar. The vinegar is used to bring out the red color in the coco.

Now usually when I bake I am really messy and batter gets everywhere. This time was no exception , but the batter was bright red. This turned the kitchen into a set fro a horror flix. The batter was about the color of blood and by the time I was done there was red batter everywhere. The batter was also super thick. I cannot say what was in the mix , obviously a Sprinkles secret but I had the hardest time getting the batter into the cupcake pan. I popped them into the oven and they baked up just fine.

I whipped up a cream cheese frosting as instructed by Sprinkles and topped the cupcake with the Sprinkles signature modern dot. This, as one of the small group members pointed out does indeed make the cupcakes look suggestive.

No comments:

Post a Comment